Browse Content by Topic:
Motorola Solutions to Provide Atlanta PD with Integrated Surveillance System to Fight Crime
Integration services for city’s ‘Operation Shield Initiative’ will enable real-time crime surveillance, smart deployment from one command center
Motorola Solutions, Inc. has announced a contract to integrate the City of Atlanta’s disparate public and private surveillance camera systems into one common operational environment in the Video Integration Center (VIC). Motorola’s Global Services organization leads a team including ADT Commercial Security, a Tyco International company and CIBER, Inc. to provide a comprehensive solution for the city.
Motorola and ADT Commercial Security have completed the implementation of the first phase of the project by upgrading the city’s existing cameras from analog to digital, and from leased line to wireless backhaul. ADT Government Services Division managed the installation of the wireless network and pan, tilt and zoom (PTZ) cameras in the downtown Atlanta Metro area.
For the next phase of the project, Motorola Global Services is integrating CIBER’s advanced Physical Security Information Management (PSIM) solution. CIBERSecure will combine current and planned video camera systems in the city’s downtown and mid-town areas into a single Command and Control display at Atlanta’s E911 VIC. In addition, Motorola will architect and integrate the solution to provide scalability to realize the city’s vision for public-private partnerships.
“For some time, we have been excited about the potential of integrating Atlanta’s disparate public and private video systems into one system, to more efficiently fight crime and protect the citizens and businesses of our community," said Dave Wilkinson, President, Atlanta Police Foundation. "I’m happy today that we soon will see our efforts become reality with a state-of-the-art video surveillance system upgrade that is among the best in our country.”
- With the completion of the project, the Atlanta Police Department will have the ability to observe incidents as they happen, identify suspicious activity and perpetrators and deploy law enforcement personnel more efficiently.
- The system will give the Atlanta Police Department the capability to integrate public and private video systems, video with computer aided dispatch (CAD), into an integrated suite of emergency dispatch applications that allow call takers and dispatchers to manage incident information more efficiently.
- Motorola and ADT Commercial developed an innovative approach to integrate Atlanta’s disparate networks of public and private surveillance systems into one common operational view, allowing city-wide compatibility. The integrated video surveillance system also will lay the groundwork for future enhancements, including the ability to stream live video to first responders.
- The integrated surveillance system will help the Atlanta Police Department make informed decisions more quickly based on information gleaned through the eyes of a camera, and before a first responder arrives on the scene.
- The Atlanta Police Department also can use archived video taken by the surveillance system as a forensics tool for future investigative purposes.
For more information, see: www.motorolasolutions.com.
- Corporate News/9-1-1magazine.com (via Motorola Solutions, 11/29/11)