Browse Content by Topic:
First Rugged Smartphone for Public Safety LTE Networks from Harris
As the public safety community moves to deploy the Nationwide Public Safety Broadband Network (NPSBN), mission-critical communications users now have the first Android™-based ruggedized LTE smartphone designed for first responder field use. The InTouch RPC-200 by Harris Corporation operates on both commercial and private LTE networks, giving users mission-critical PTT voice, data, video, location, text-based information and other future applications.
The Harris InTouch RPC-200 creates an entirely new class of public safety communication, and is also backwards compatible with today's operational modes. It enables seamless interoperability among existing Project 25 (P25) LMR networks and commercial cellular technology through Harris' BeOn® PTT-over-Broadband application. The InTouch is the first Band 14-capable device to achieve public safety dispatch voice-over- Broadband, and delivers:
- Public safety design with a large PTT button, waterproof speaker and noise-cancellation capability for on-scene high performance;
- An optimized user experience through Android™ 4.1, an industry-leading LTE chipset, and an integrated communication applications framework, including BeOn PTT;
- HDMI video and 5 MP still-image cameras on a state-of-the-art hardened 4-inch display;
- Immediate value because InTouch enables commercial cellular telephony and LTE broadband on existing nationwide commercial networks, and will operate on the future FirstNet network.
Because InTouch uses the Android™ operating system, users can download and install third-party applications, and developers can build and make available their own applications for users. Based on the latest generations of hardware and software technology, the InTouch joins the existing Harris line of Android™-based LTE communications technologies, which also includes the BTC-100 public safety LTE tablet and the BeOn application.
Additional information about Harris Corporation is available at harris.com.
- Product Profiles /9-1-1magazine.com (via Harris Corp., 9/28/12)