Vail (CO) accepting applications for Emergency Services Dispatchers
The Town of Vail is now accepting applications for openings as an Emergency Services Dispatchers to join the Communications Department. Our state of the art communication facility is located in Vail, and dispatches emergency service calls 24-hours per day – 365 days a year, for 13 public safety agencies in Eagle County. This role ensures community safety through effective communications duties via phone and radio systems to support county-wide Police, Fire, and EMS agencies. To find out more about the Vail Public Safety Communications Center please visit their website.
Dispatch duties include, but are not limited to:
- Receiving and analyzing 911 calls as well as non-emergent and TTY phone calls for Police, Fire, and EMS service.
- Performing Emergency Medical Dispatch when appropriate.
- Operating and utilizing the Computer Aided Dispatch Computer System (CAD) throughout all calls for service.
- Distributing calls for service via the 800 MHz radio system.
- Receiving and monitoring alarms throughout Eagle County.
- Performing various requests on the CCIC/NCIC system including warrant entries.
- Updating the media broadcast information on road conditions.
- Initiating the Emergency Alert System when needed.
- Training new dispatchers and being responsible for individual projects.
Skills / Requirements
Qualified applicants must be passionate about learning and working in the Public Safety/Emergency Services and have the ability to remain calm and professional in a variety of situations. In addition they must meet the following requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Guest service, call center or emergency service related experience.
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written skills.
- Strong computer and typing skills.
- Available to work all different schedules – including weekends, holidays and over-night shifts.
The hiring process is extensive and will consist of written tests, drug test, polygraph exam, psychological evaluation, personal history statement submittal/background investigation and a chief’s interview. Applications will be screened & qualified candidates will be notified of their test date & time.
Culture / Lifestyle / Benefits
Are you interested in living and working in Vail, CO? Vail, which is centrally located in the Rocky Mountains, offers easy access to Denver (100 miles to the east) and is surrounded by the White River National Forest, offering world class outdoor activities in summer and winter (skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, white water). While our permanent population is 7,000 it swells to 45,000 during the winter ski season or hosting an event.
When asked, many of our employees say that working for the Town of Vail feels like family. Our employees continually strive for excellence and take pride in their work product, as their efforts not only benefit the community but also benefit them personally as they get to live and recreate in this spectacular Vail Valley which we call home! To find out more about our community, please visit our website www.vailgov.com and click on Vail Information.
The Town of Vail offers an excellent benefits and compensation package, including health and dental coverage, town-funded retirement, 457 pre-tax savings plan, tennis pass, golf passes and other ski pass/wellness benefits. In addition, we offer employee housing (limited availability) to help those relocate to the area.